Almost Every theme has got a Search box. But its not user friendly. On the other hand Google is best search engine in the World. So why not use the Google Custom search engine. you can include all the sites you want to get search results. In a previous post I have showed you How To Remove Search Box in Nav Menu. So you must add your own search engine. Search box is must for every websites or Blog. It prevents the reader felling that he is lost in an open ocean. So here’s how to create Google Custom Search Engine for Your Own Website or Blog.
What Is Custom Search?
Google Custom Search enables you to create a search engine for your website, your blog, or a collection of websites. You can configure your search engine to search both web pages and images.
Make Google Custom Search Engine
1. You’ll need a Google account for this – the search engine will be saved with your Google account. Go to Google Custom Search.
2. Click on “New Search Engine”.
Enter the site name and click “Create” to create a search engine for your site. In the Sites to search section, add the pages you want to include in your search engine. You can include any sites you want, not just sites you own. You can include site URLs or page URLs, and you can also get fancy and use URL patterns. See some URL patterns below:
- www.zitkat.com/ means a single page but not any subdomain.
- www.iamshemul/* means all URLs beginning with www.zitkat.com or zitkat.com
The name of your search engine will be automatically generated based on the URLs you select. You can change this name at any time.
3. Click on “Create“
4. To add your search engine to your site, click Get Code on the next page. Copy the code and paste it into your site wherever you want your Custom Search Engine to appear.
5. Click on control Panel to modify the search engine. you can do it anytime you want. You can turn on/off the image search. i think you should turn it on.
You can customize the look and feel of your search engine on the Look and feel page of the Control Panel.
If you change the layout of your search engine, you must update the CSE code on your site. After you’ve made your changes, be sure to click Save and Get Code. Then paste the new code into your website, wherever you want the search engine to appear.
- On the Layout tab, you can specify the layout of your search results page.
- On the Themes tab, you can select a design theme for your search engine.
- On the Customize tab, you can specify exactly how you want CSE elements such as the search box, search button, refinements, and results to appear.
- On the Thumbnails tab, you can enable or disable thumbnail images in search results.